Raw Chocolate Brownies are a God-send for anyone looking for a healthier chocolate fix.
If you have had enough of eating unhealthy processed chocolate and would love to explore healthier ways of indulging this is the blog post for you.
These raw chocolate brownies are super quick to make. I timed my last batch and it took me no more than 10 minutes and that included the washing up.
There is no cooking involved at all (which I think makes this recipe even more delightful). You do however need to have a pretty tough food processor to whizz the mixture together. I use my magi mix which is perfect for the job.
For this Raw Chocolate Brownie recipe, you need the following ingredients
- Medjool dates
- Cacao powder
- Pecan Nuts
- Maple syrup
Do try and use Medjool dates as they are a lot more squidgy than regular or dried pack ones (which tend to be tougher). However, if you wish to use the drier variety no sweat. Just make sure that you soak the dates in hot water for 5 minutes before you start the recipe. This simple action will make your life easier and your machine very appreciative as it will not have to work as hard.
Now notice I have written down Cacao instead of Cocoa. I love to use the former as it is less processed and contains vital minerals which are often missing from our diet. That being said, there is nothing wrong with using normal cocoa powder.
Pecan nuts are the original nut recommendation for this recipe. If you like a caramelly flavour, go for pecans. However, I am all for experimenting and have made this with almonds which give it a marzipan hint. I have also used walnuts and cashews successfully too.
I have also mixed together different nuts if I have a few left of each that I want to use up. If you have a nut allergy or simply do not want to use nuts you can substitute them with any seeds (a mixture of pumpkin and sunflower are my favourites). You can’t really go wrong though, and I would encourage you to experiment to find your own favourite combinations.
This is an optional extra and you can use any liquid sweetener you fancy such as agave syrup or honey.
The Raw Chocolate Brownie Recipe Amounts
To measure the amounts for this recipe you need a standard size mug! Super easy.
1 mug of nuts (or similar)
2 mugs of dates
3 tablespoons of Cacao powder
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
How To Make Your Raw Chocolate Brownie
- Simply put all of the ingredients except the maple syrup into your industrial mixer and whizz up.
- Once the ingredients start to combine add the maple syrup.
- Continue to whizz until the mixture clumps together to form a ball. Once this happens switch off the machine.
- Pop the mixture into a square shallow cake tin that has been lined with greaseproof paper. I like to spray the bottom of the paper with some spray oil so that it sticks to the tin. Believe me, this helps press the mixture into the tin a lot easier. Using your knuckles or the flat side of a spoon press the mixture into the tin until it is flat and smooth. This is the hardest bit of the recipe and takes a little patience!
- Refrigerate until set – about 3 hours or leave overnight
- Once chilled (set), cut into squares. You should be able to get 16 squares.
Keep refrigerated and enjoy as needed. They keep for a fairly long time. I have had them in the fridge for up to 2 weeks with no problem. I am pretty sure they will not last that long and you will have to make up another batch before you know it.
So that’s it. I said it would be easy!
Give them a try and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.